Aging; Environment and Public Health; Mental Health; Psychological Phenomena and Processes; Social Justice; Social Sciences; Psychiatry and Psychology
Public Health Interests
Professor Levy's research explores psychosocial influences on aging. Her studies focus on how psychological factors, particularly older individuals' perceptions of aging, affect cognition and health in old age. She studies this by examining: 1) how psychosocial factors influence recovery and survival in old age; 2) how the aging process differs in cultures that hold diverse views of aging; and 3) how interventions, designed to trigger either positive or negative age stereotypes, influences a variety of outcomes in older individuals including memory, physical performance and cardiovascular response to stress.
Extensive Research Description
- Psychosocial Determinants of Longevity
- Psychosocial Factors that Contribute to Elders’ Successful Cognitive and Physical Functioning
- Mechanisms by which Age Stereotypes Influence Older Individuals Health
- Interventions to Improve Aging Health.
A culture–brain link: Negative age stereotypes predict Alzheimer’s disease biomarkers.
Levy, B. R., Ferrucci, L., Zonderman, A. B. Slade, M. D., Troncoso, J., & Resnick, S. M. (2016). A culture–brain link: Negative age stereotypes predict Alzheimer’s disease biomarkers. Psychology and Aging, 31, 82-88. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/pag0000062
Resiliency over time of elders’ age stereotypes after encountering stressful events
Levy, B. R.; Slade, M. D., Chung, P. H., & Gill, T. M. (2015). Resiliency over time of elders’ age stereotypes after encountering stressful events. Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences, 70, 886-890. doi: 10.1093/geronb/gbu082
Subliminal strengthening: Improving older individuals’ physical function over time with an implicit-Age-Stereotype Intervention.
Levy, B. R., Pilver, C., Chung, P., & Slade, M .D. (2014). Subliminal strengthening: Improving older individuals’ physical function over time with an implicit-age-Stereotype intervention. Psychological Science, 25, 2127-2135. doi: 10.1177/0956797614551970
Lower Prevalence of Psychiatric Conditions when Negative Age Stereotypes are Resisted.
Levy, B. R., Pilver, C. E., & Pietrzak, R. H. (2014). Lower prevalence of psychiatric conditions when negative age stereotypes are resisted. Social Science & Medicine, 119, 170-174.
Association between Positive Age Stereotypes and Recovery from Disability in Older Persons.
Levy, B. R., Slade, M. D., Murphy, T. E., & Gill, T. M. (2012). Association between positive age stereotypes and recovery from disability in older persons. JAMA, 308, 1972-1973.
Memory Shaped by Age Stereotypes over Time.
Levy, B. R., Zonderman, A. B., Slade, M. D., & Ferrucci, L. (2012). Memory shaped by age stereotypes over time. Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences, 67, 432-436.
Residual Stigma: Psychological Distress among the Formerly Overweight.
Levy, B. R., & Pilver, C. E. (2012). Residual stigma: Psychological distress among the formerly overweight. Social Science and Medicine, 75, 297-299.
Influence of Valentine’s Day and Halloween on Birth Timing.
Levy, B.R., Chung, P., & Slade, M.D. (2011). Influence of Valentine’s Day and Halloween on birth timing. Social Science and Medicine, 73, 1246-1248.
Age Stereotypes Held Earlier in Life Predict Cardiovascular Events in Later Life.
Levy, B. R., Zonderman, A. B., Slade, M. D., & Ferrucci, L. (2009). Age stereotypes held earlier in life predict cardiovascular events in later life. Psychological Science, 20, 296-298.
The Stereotype-Matching Effect: Greater Influence on Functioning When Age Stereotypes Correspond to Outcomes.
Levy, B. R., & Leifheit-Limson, E. (2009). The stereotype-matching effect: Greater influence on functioning when age stereotypes correspond to outcomes. Psychology and Aging, 24, 230–233.
Stereotype Embodiment: A Psychosocial Approach to Aging.
Levy, B. R. (2009). Stereotype Embodiment: A psychosocial approach to aging. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 18, 332-336.
Hearing Decline Predicted by Elders’ Age Stereotypes.
Levy, B.R., Slade, M.D., & Gill, T. (2006). Hearing decline predicted by elders’ age stereotypes. Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences, 61, 82-87.
When Self-interest and Age Stereotypes Collide: Elders’ Preferring Reduced Funds for Programs Benefiting Themselves.
Levy, B., & Schlesinger, M. (2005). When self-interest and age stereotypes collide: Elders’ preferring reduced funds for programs benefiting themselves. Journal of Aging and Social Policy, 17, 25-39.
Preventive Health Behaviors Influenced by Self-perceptions of Aging.
Levy, B. R. & Myers, L.M. (2004). Preventive health behaviors influenced by self-perceptions of aging. Preventive Medicine, 39, 625-629.
Mind Matters: Cognitive and Physical Effects of Aging Self-Stereotypes.
Levy, B.R. (2003). Mind matters: Cognitive and physical effects of aging self-stereotypes. Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Science, 58, 203-211.
Longevity Increased by Positive Self-Perceptions of Aging.
Levy, B.R., Slade, M.D., Kunkel, S.R., & Kasl, S.V. (2002). Longevity Increased by Positive Self-Perceptions of Aging. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 83, 261-270.
Longitudinal Benefit of Positive Self-Perceptions of Aging on Functioning Health.
Levy, B.R., Slade, M.D., & Kasl, S.V. (2002). Longitudinal benefit of positive self-perceptions of aging on functioning health. Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences, 57, 409-417.
Reducing Cardiovascular Stress with Positive Self-Stereotypes of Aging.
Levy, B.R., Hausdorff, J., Hencke, R., & Wei, J. (2000). Reducing cardiovascular stress with positive self-stereotypes of aging. Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences, 55, 1-9.
Improving memory in old age through implicit self-stereotyping.
Levy, B. (1996). Improving memory in old age through implicit self-stereotyping. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 71, 1092-1107.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Levy BR, Bavishi A: Survival Advantage Mechanism: Inflammation as a Mediator of Positive Self-Perceptions of Aging on Longevity. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2018 Mar 2. PMID: 27032428
- Levy BR, Slade MD, Pietrzak RH, Ferrucci L: Positive age beliefs protect against dementia even among elders with high-risk gene. PLoS One. 2018; 2018 Feb 7. PMID: 29414991
- Ng R, Levy B: Pettiness: Conceptualization, measurement and cross-cultural differences. PLoS One. 2018; 2018 Jan 31. PMID: 29385157
- Monin JK, Levy BR, Kane HS: To Love is to Suffer: Older Adults' Daily Emotional Contagion to Perceived Spousal Suffering. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2017 May 1. PMID: 26420167
- Monin JK, Levy B, Doyle M, Schulz R, Kershaw T: The impact of both spousal caregivers' and care recipients' health on relationship satisfaction in the Caregiver Health Effects Study. J Health Psychol. 2017 Mar 1; 2017 Mar 1. PMID: 28810439
- Monin JK, Mota N, Levy B, Pachankis J, Pietrzak RH: Older Age Associated with Mental Health Resiliency in Sexual Minority US Veterans. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2017 Jan; 2016 Sep 23. PMID: 27769835
- Pietrzak RH, Zhu Y, Slade MD, Qi Q, Krystal JH, Southwick SM, Levy BR: Association Between Negative Age Stereotypes and Accelerated Cellular Aging: Evidence from Two Cohorts of Older Adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016 Nov; 2016 Sep 19. PMID: 27641354
- Bavishi A, Slade MD, Levy BR: A chapter a day: Association of book reading with longevity. Soc Sci Med. 2016 Sep; 2016 Jul 18. PMID: 27471129
- Monin J, Doyle M, Levy B, Schulz R, Fried T, Kershaw T: Spousal Associations Between Frailty and Depressive Symptoms: Longitudinal Findings from the Cardiovascular Health Study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016 Apr. PMID: 27100578
- Ng R, Allore HG, Monin JK, Levy BR: Retirement as Meaningful: Positive Retirement Stereotypes Associated with Longevity. J Soc Issues. 2016 Mar; 2016 Mar 9. PMID: 27346893
- Levy BR, Ferrucci L, Zonderman AB, Slade MD, Troncoso J, Resnick SM: A culture-brain link: Negative age stereotypes predict Alzheimer's disease biomarkers. Psychol Aging. 2016 Feb; 2015 Dec 7. PMID: 26641877
- Levy BR, Slade MD, Chung PH, Gill TM: Resiliency Over Time of Elders' Age Stereotypes After Encountering Stressful Events. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2015 Nov; 2014 Jul 5. PMID: 24997287
- Monin JK, Levy B, Chen B, Fried T, Stahl ST, Schulz R, Doyle M, Kershaw T: Husbands' and Wives' Physical Activity and Depressive Symptoms: Longitudinal Findings from the Cardiovascular Health Study. Ann Behav Med. 2015 Oct. PMID: 25868508
- Mitchell HR, Levy BR, Keene DE, Monin JK: Reactivity to a Spouse's Interpersonal Suffering in Late Life Marriage: A Mixed-Methods Approach. J Aging Health. 2015 Sep; 2015 Feb 5. PMID: 25659746
- Ng R, Allore HG, Trentalange M, Monin JK, Levy BR: Increasing negativity of age stereotypes across 200 years: evidence from a database of 400 million words. PLoS One. 2015; 2015 Feb 12. PMID: 25675438
- Levy BR, Pilver C, Chung PH, Slade MD: Subliminal strengthening: improving older individuals' physical function over time with an implicit-age-stereotype intervention. Psychol Sci. 2014 Dec; 2014 Oct 17. PMID: 25326508
- Levy BR, Pilver CE, Pietrzak RH: Lower prevalence of psychiatric conditions when negative age stereotypes are resisted. Soc Sci Med. 2014 Oct; 2014 Jul 3. PMID: 25189737
- Monin JK, Levy BR, Pietrzak RH: From serving in the military to serving loved ones: unique experiences of older veteran caregivers. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2014 Jun; 2013 Mar 26. PMID: 23567413
- Levy BR, Chung PH, Bedford T, Navrazhina K: Facebook as a site for negative age stereotypes. Gerontologist. 2014 Apr; 2013 Feb 7. PMID: 23392643
- Levy BR, Ng R, Myers LM, Marottoli RA: A psychological predictor of elders' driving performance: social-comparisons on the road. J Appl Soc Psychol. 2013 Mar; 2013 Feb 18. PMID: 26877547
- Alvarez KJ, Levy BR: Health advantages of ethnic density for African American and Mexican American elderly individuals. Am J Public Health. 2012 Dec; 2012 Oct 18. PMID: 23078490
- Levy BR, Slade MD, Murphy TE, Gill TM: Association between positive age stereotypes and recovery from disability in older persons. JAMA. 2012 Nov 21. PMID: 23168819
- Levy BR, Zonderman AB, Slade MD, Ferrucci L: Memory shaped by age stereotypes over time. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2012 Jul; 2011 Nov 4. PMID: 22056832
- Levy BR, Pilver CE: Residual stigma: psychological distress among the formerly overweight. Soc Sci Med. 2012 Jul; 2012 Apr 3. PMID: 22560867
- Pilver CE, Levy BR, Libby DJ, Desai RA: Posttraumatic stress disorder and trauma characteristics are correlates of premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Arch Womens Ment Health. 2011 Oct; 2011 Jul 23. PMID: 21786081
- Levy BR, Chung PH, Slade MD: Influence of Valentine's Day and Halloween on birth timing. Soc Sci Med. 2011 Oct; 2011 Jul 28. PMID: 21880409
- Pilver CE, Desai R, Kasl S, Levy BR: Lifetime discrimination associated with greater likelihood of premenstrual dysphoric disorder. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2011 Jun. PMID: 21671777
- Pilver CE, Kasl S, Desai R, Levy BR: Exposure to American culture is associated with premenstrual dysphoric disorder among ethnic minority women. J Affect Disord. 2011 Apr; 2010 Nov 5. PMID: 21055829
- Levy B: Stereotype Embodiment: A Psychosocial Approach to Aging. Curr Dir Psychol Sci. 2009 Dec 1. PMID: 20802838
- Levy BR, Ashman O, Slade MD: Age attributions and aging health: contrast between the United States and Japan. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2009 May; 2009 Apr 1. PMID: 19339342
- Levy BR, Slade MD, Ranasinghe P: Causal thinking after a tsunami wave: karma beliefs, pessimistic explanatory style and health among Sri Lankan survivors. J Relig Health. 2009 Mar; 2008 Mar 21. PMID: 19229624
- Levy BR, Leifheit-Limson E: The stereotype-matching effect: greater influence on functioning when age stereotypes correspond to outcomes. Psychol Aging. 2009 Mar. PMID: 19290757
- Levy BR, Zonderman AB, Slade MD, Ferrucci L: Age stereotypes held earlier in life predict cardiovascular events in later life. Psychol Sci. 2009 Mar; 2009 Feb 13. PMID: 19222809
- Hartwig KA, Dunville RL, Kim MH, Levy B, Zaharek MM, Njike VY, Katz DL: Promoting healthy people 2010 through small grants. Health Promot Pract. 2009 Jan; 2006 Jun 30. PMID: 16816033
- Levy BR, Ryall AL, Pilver CE, Sheridan PL, Wei JY, Hausdorff JM: Influence of African American elders' age stereotypes on their cardiovascular response to stress. Anxiety Stress Coping. 2008 Jan. PMID: 18027125
- Levy BR, Ding L, Lakra D, Kosteas J, Niccolai L: Older persons' exclusion from sexually transmitted disease risk-reduction clinical trials. Sex Transm Dis. 2007 Aug. PMID: 17297381
- Drickamer MA, Levy B, Irwin KS, Rohrbaugh RM: Perceived needs for geriatric education by medical students, internal medicine residents and faculty. J Gen Intern Med. 2006 Dec. PMID: 17105521
- Levy B, Kosteas J, Slade M, Myers L: Exclusion of elderly persons from health-risk behavior clinical trials. Prev Med. 2006 Aug; 2006 May 11. PMID: 16690108
- Levy BR, Slade MD, Gill TM: Hearing decline predicted by elders' stereotypes. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2006 Mar. PMID: 16497958
- Levy BR, Slade MD, May J, Caracciolo EA: Physical recovery after acute myocardial infarction: positive age self-stereotypes as a resource. Int J Aging Hum Dev. 2006. PMID: 16739466
- Levy BR, Schlesinger MJ: When self-interest and age sterotypes collide: elders opposing increased funds for programs benefiting themselves. J Aging Soc Policy. 2005. PMID: 15911516
- Levy BR, Myers LM: Preventive health behaviors influenced by self-perceptions of aging. Prev Med. 2004 Sep. PMID: 15313104
- Levy BR, Kasl SV, Gill TM: Image of aging scale. Percept Mot Skills. 2004 Aug. PMID: 15446647
- Brommelhoff JA, Conway K, Merikangas K, Levy BR: Higher rates of depression in women: role of gender bias within the family. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2004 Jan-Feb. PMID: 15006279
- Levy BR: Mind matters: cognitive and physical effects of aging self-stereotypes. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2003 Jul. PMID: 12878645
- Levy BR, Slade MD, Kasl SV: Longitudinal benefit of positive self-perceptions of aging on functional health. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2002 Sep. PMID: 12198099
- Levy BR, Slade MD, Kunkel SR, Kasl SV: Longevity increased by positive self-perceptions of aging. J Pers Soc Psychol. 2002 Aug. PMID: 12150226