Critical Care; Tuberculosis; Global Health; Mobile Applications
Public Health Interests
Global Health; Health Care Quality; Respiratory Disease/Infections
My research is based in Uganda and uses translational methods to improve TB diagnosis and evaluation in high-burden, resource-constrained settings. Ongoing projects span two general areas: 1) discovery and validation of TB biomarkers using novel biotechnologies, and 2) translation of evidence-based TB diagnostic strategies into practice using implementation science through the Uganda TB Implementation Research Consortium (www.u-tirc.mak.ac.ug). Training and capacity-building are an important aspect of my research activities, through the Fogarty Pulmonary Complications of AIDS Research-Training Program at Makerere University (www.part.mak.ac.ug) and Walimu (www.walimu.org), a non-profit that uses implementation science to improve care of severe acute illness in Uganda and other low-income countries.
Extensive Research Description
mHealth for Home Contact Investigation in Kampala, Uganda – This community-based household RCT, funded by the National Institutes of Health NIH), is examining the effectiveness, context, and potential impact of short-messaging services (SMS)-supported, home-based TB and HIV contact investigation, compared with standard TB contact investigation.
Expression in HIV and Tuberculosis (eHAT) – In collaboration with collaborators at the University of Colorado and Stanford University, and the University of California San Francisco, we using novel host- and pathogen-targeted gene-expression profiling platforms to identify better biomarkers, therapeutic targets, and developmental models of the response to TB treatment in Haiti, Kenya, Peru, South Africa, Uganda, and Vietnam.
Exosomes for Discovery of Novel TB Biomarkers – In collaboration with colleagues at Notre Dame, Colorado State, and the University of California San Francisco, and with support from NIH, we are leading a discovery effort to identify and isolate novel proteomic targets on human exosomes as the basis for a future point of care TB diagnostic test.
Comparative Effectiveness of Xpert MTB/RIF in Uganda – In collaboration with colleagues at Johns Hopkins University, and with support from NIH, we have been collecting data on the implementation experience with Xpert MTB/RIF in Uganda to populate a pilot impact and cost-effectiveness model to guide decisions about national Xpert policies in local settings.
Pediatric TB Guideline Implementation in Uganda – In collaboration with colleagues from Makerere University in Uganda, and with support from USAID and NIH, we are using mixed methods to collect data on common barriers and enablers to uptake of and adherence to consensus guidelines on pediatric TB evaluation and management in Uganda. We will then apply evidence-based theories of behavior change to categorize these barriers and enablers and design targeted interventions to improve quality of care.
Xpert Omni Performance Evaluation for Linkage to Tuberculosis Care: The XPEL TB Trial – In collaboration with colleagues from the University of California San Francisco and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, and with support from the Wellcome Trust and NIH, we will be designing and implementing a cluster-randomized trial comparing to single-specimen microscopy within an SMS-assured Xpert MTB/RIF referral network to conventional microscopy and Xpert MTB/RIF algorithms.
Xpert TB Caring Wisely in the US – In collaboration with colleagues at the San Francisco Department of Public Health, we have recently implemented Xpert MTB/RIF as a test to guide triage of patients out of airborne infection isolation rooms, replacing the conventional strategy of using serial smear microscopy. We are using multiple data collection approaches in order to describe the context, effectiveness, impact, and cost-benefit ratio of the intervention.
Severe Illness Management System (SIMS) – With support from international agencies and private foundations, Walimu is adapting novel approaches from the field of implementation science to improve the identification and management of severe illness in hospitals in Uganda.
Transcriptional adaptation of drug-tolerant Mycobacterium tuberculosis during treatment of human tuberculosis.
Walter ND, Dolganov GM, Garcia BJ, Worodria W, Andama A, Musisi E, Ayakaka I, Van TT, Voskuil MI, de Jong BC, Davidson RM, Fingerlin TE, Kechris K, Palmer C, Nahid P, Daley CL, Geraci M, Huang L, Cattamanchi A, Strong M, Schoolnik GK, Davis JL. J Infect Dis. 2015;212(6):990-8.
Investigating barriers to tuberculosis evaluation in Uganda using geographic information systems.
Ross JM, Cattamanchi A, Miller CR, Tatem AJ, Katamba A, Haguma P, Handley MA, Davis JL. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2015;93(4):733-8.
Impact of GeneXpert MTB/RIF on triage of respiratory isolation rooms for inpatients with presumed TB: A hypothetical trial.
Chaisson LH, Roemer M, Cantu D, Haller B, Millman AJ, Cattamanchi A, Davis JL. Clin Infect Dis. 2014;59(10):1353-60.
Impact of GeneXpert MTB/RIF on patients and tuberculosis programs in a low-burden setting. A hypothetical trial.
Davis JL, Kawamura LM, Chaisson LH, Grinsdale J, Benhammou J, Ho C, Babst A, Banouvong H, Metcalfe JZ, Pandori M, Hopewell PC, Cattamanchi A. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014;189(12): 1551-9.
A transcriptional signature for active TB: Have we found the needle in the haystack?
Cattamanchi A, Walter ND, Metcalfe JZ, Davis JL. PLoS Med. 2013;10(10):e1001539.
Diagnostic accuracy of same-day microscopy versus standard microscopy for pulmonary tuberculosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Davis JL, Cattamanchi A, Cuevas LE, Hopewell PC, Steingart KR. Diagnostic accuracy of same-day microscopy versus standard microscopy for pulmonary tuberculosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2013;13(2):147-54.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Ggita JM, Ojok C, Meyer AJ, Farr K, Shete PB, Ochom E, Turimumahoro P, Babirye D, Mark D, Dowdy D, Ackerman S, Armstrong-Hough M, Nalugwa T, Ayakaka I, Moore D, Haberer JE, Cattamanchi A, Katamba A, Davis JL: Patterns of usage and preferences of users for tuberculosis-related text messages and voice calls in Uganda. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2018 May 1. PMID: 29663958
- Armstrong-Hough M, Ggita J, Ayakaka I, Dowdy D, Cattamanchi A, Haberer JE, Katamba A, Davis JL: Brief Report: "Give Me Some Time": Facilitators of and Barriers to Uptake of Home-Based HIV Testing During Household Contact Investigation for Tuberculosis in Kampala, Uganda. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2018 Apr 1. PMID: 29300218
- Cummings MJ, Goldberg E, Mwaka S, Kabajaasi O, Vittinghoff E, Katamba A, Cattamanchi A, Kenya-Mugisha N, Davis JL, Jacob ST: The sixth vital sign: HIV status assessment and severe illness triage in Uganda. Public Health Action. 2017 Dec 21; 2017 Nov 13. PMID: 29584800
- Davis JL: Bringing patient-centered tuberculosis diagnosis into the light of day. BMC Med. 2017 Dec 20; 2017 Dec 20. PMID: 29258526
- Yoon C, Semitala FC, Atuhumuza E, Katende J, Mwebe S, Asege L, Armstrong DT, Andama AO, Dowdy DW, Davis JL, Huang L, Kamya M, Cattamanchi A: Point-of-care C-reactive protein-based tuberculosis screening for people living with HIV: a diagnostic accuracy study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2017 Dec; 2017 Aug 25. PMID: 28847636
- Cummings MJ, Goldberg E, Mwaka S, Kabajaasi O, Vittinghoff E, Cattamanchi A, Katamba A, Kenya-Mugisha N, Jacob ST, Davis JL: A complex intervention to improve implementation of World Health Organization guidelines for diagnosis of severe illness in low-income settings: a quasi-experimental study from Uganda. Implement Sci. 2017 Nov 6; 2017 Nov 6. PMID: 29110667
- Armstrong-Hough M, Turimumahoro P, Meyer AJ, Ochom E, Babirye D, Ayakaka I, Mark D, Ggita J, Cattamanchi A, Dowdy D, Mugabe F, Fair E, Haberer JE, Katamba A, Davis JL: Drop-out from the tuberculosis contact investigation cascade in a routine public health setting in urban Uganda: A prospective, multi-center study. PLoS One. 2017; 2017 Nov 6. PMID: 29108007
- Sigal GB, Segal MR, Mathew A, Jarlsberg L, Wang M, Barbero S, Small N, Haynesworth K, Davis JL, Weiner M, Whitworth WC, Jacobs J, Schorey J, Lewinsohn DM, Nahid P: Biomarkers of Tuberculosis Severity and Treatment Effect: A Directed Screen of 70 Host Markers in a Randomized Clinical Trial. EBioMedicine. 2017 Nov; 2017 Oct 24. PMID: 29100778
- Shete PB, Ravindran R, Chang E, Worodria W, Chaisson LH, Andama A, Davis JL, Luciw PA, Huang L, Khan IH, Cattamanchi A: Evaluation of antibody responses to panels of M. tuberculosis antigens as a screening tool for active tuberculosis in Uganda. PLoS One. 2017; 2017 Aug 2. PMID: 28767658
- Meyer AJ, Atuheire C, Worodria W, Kizito S, Katamba A, Sanyu I, Andama A, Ayakaka I, Cattamanchi A, Bwanga F, Huang L, Davis JL: Sputum quality and diagnostic performance of GeneXpert MTB/RIF among smear-negative adults with presumed tuberculosis in Uganda. PLoS One. 2017; 2017 Jul 7. PMID: 28686705
- Shete PB, Nalugwa T, Farr K, Ojok C, Nantale M, Howlett P, Haguma P, Ochom E, Mugabe F, Joloba M, Chaisson LH, Dowdy DW, Moore D, Davis JL, Katamba A, Cattamanchi A: Feasibility of a streamlined tuberculosis diagnosis and treatment initiation strategy. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2017 Jul 1. PMID: 28633698
- Ofori-Anyinam B, Dolganov G, Van T, Davis JL, Walter ND, Garcia BJ, Voskuil M, Fissette K, Diels M, Driesen M, Meehan CJ, Yeboah-Manu D, Coscolla M, Gagneux S, Antonio M, Schoolnik G, Gehre F, de Jong BC: Significant under expression of the DosR regulon in M. tuberculosis complex lineage 6 in sputum. Tuberculosis (Edinb). 2017 May; 2017 Mar 4. PMID: 28454650
- Ayakaka I, Ackerman S, Ggita JM, Kajubi P, Dowdy D, Haberer JE, Fair E, Hopewell P, Handley MA, Cattamanchi A, Katamba A, Davis JL: Identifying barriers to and facilitators of tuberculosis contact investigation in Kampala, Uganda: a behavioral approach. Implement Sci. 2017 Mar 9; 2017 Mar 9. PMID: 28274245
- Shenoy MK, Iwai S, Lin DL, Worodria W, Ayakaka I, Byanyima P, Kaswabuli S, Fong S, Stone S, Chang E, Davis JL, Faruqi AA, Segal MR, Huang L, Lynch SV: Immune Response and Mortality Risk Relate to Distinct Lung Microbiomes in Patients with HIV and Pneumonia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017 Jan 1. PMID: 27447987
- Kalema N, Lindan C, Glidden D, Yoo SD, Katamba A, Alfred A, Katagira W, Byanyima P, Musisi E, Kaswabuli S, Ingvar S, Zawedde J, Yoon C, Ayakaka I, Davis JL, Huang L, Worodria W, Cattamanchi A: Predictors and short-term outcomes of recurrent pulmonary tuberculosis, Uganda: a cohort study. S Afr Respir J. 2017. PMID: 29368752
- Jayakumar A, Savic RM, Everett CK, Benator D, Alland D, Heilig CM, Weiner M, Friedrich SO, Martinson NA, Kerrigan A, Zamudio C, Goldberg SV, Whitworth WC, Davis JL, Nahid P: Xpert MTB/RIF Assay Shows Faster Clearance of Mycobacterium tuberculosis DNA with Higher Levels of Rifapentine Exposure. J Clin Microbiol. 2016 Dec; 2016 Oct 12. PMID: 27733634
- Walter ND, de Jong BC, Garcia BJ, Dolganov GM, Worodria W, Byanyima P, Musisi E, Huang L, Chan ED, Van TT, Antonio M, Ayorinde A, Kato-Maeda M, Nahid P, Leung AM, Yen A, Fingerlin TE, Kechris K, Strong M, Voskuil MI, Davis JL, Schoolnik GK: Adaptation of Mycobacterium tuberculosis to Impaired Host Immunity in HIV-Infected Patients. J Infect Dis. 2016 Oct 15; 2016 Aug 17. PMID: 27534685
- Auld E, Lin J, Chang E, Byanyima P, Ayakaka I, Musisi E, Worodria W, Davis JL, Segal M, Blackburn E, Huang L: HIV Infection Is Associated with Shortened Telomere Length in Ugandans with Suspected Tuberculosis. PLoS One. 2016; 2016 Sep 21. PMID: 27655116
- Hsiang E, Little KM, Haguma P, Hanrahan CF, Katamba A, Cattamanchi A, Davis JL, Vassall A, Dowdy D: Higher cost of implementing Xpert(®) MTB/RIF in Ugandan peripheral settings: implications for cost-effectiveness. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2016 Sep. PMID: 27510248
- Cummings MJ, Wamala JF, Bakamutumaho B, Davis JL: Vital signs: the first step in prevention and management of critical illness in resource-limited settings. Intensive Care Med. 2016 Sep; 2016 May 20. PMID: 27207339
- Garcia BJ, Loxton AG, Dolganov GM, Van TT, Davis JL, de Jong BC, Voskuil MI, Leach SM, Schoolnik GK, Walzl G, Strong M, Walter ND: Sputum is a surrogate for bronchoalveolar lavage for monitoring Mycobacterium tuberculosis transcriptional profiles in TB patients. Tuberculosis (Edinb). 2016 Sep; 2016 Jul 25. PMID: 27553415
- Katagira W, Walter ND, Den Boon S, Kalema N, Ayakaka I, Vittinghoff E, Worodria W, Cattamanchi A, Huang L, Davis JL: Empiric TB Treatment of Severely Ill Patients With HIV and Presumed Pulmonary TB Improves Survival. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2016 Jul 1. PMID: 26918546
- Walter ND, Reves R, Davis JL: Blood transcriptional signatures for tuberculosis diagnosis: a glass half-empty perspective. Lancet Respir Med. 2016 Jun. PMID: 27304799
- O'Donnell MR, Daftary A, Frick M, Hirsch-Moverman Y, Amico KR, Senthilingam M, Wolf A, Metcalfe JZ, Isaakidis P, Davis JL, Zelnick JR, Brust JC, Naidu N, Garretson M, Bangsberg DR, Padayatchi N, Friedland G: Re-inventing adherence: toward a patient-centered model of care for drug-resistant tuberculosis and HIV. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2016 Apr. PMID: 26970149
- Ross JM, Cattamanchi A, Miller CR, Tatem AJ, Katamba A, Haguma P, Handley MA, Davis JL: Investigating Barriers to Tuberculosis Evaluation in Uganda Using Geographic Information Systems. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2015 Oct; 2015 Jul 27. PMID: 26217044
- Chitnis AS, Davis JL, Schecter GF, Barry PM, Flood JM: Review of nucleic acid amplification tests and clinical prediction rules for diagnosis of tuberculosis in acute care facilities. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2015 Oct; 2015 Jul 13. PMID: 26166303
- Pruiksma KE, Taylor DJ, Ruggero C, Boals A, Davis JL, Cranston C, DeViva JC, Zayfert C: A psychometric study of the Fear of Sleep Inventory-Short Form (FoSI-SF). J Clin Sleep Med. 2014 May 15. PMID: 24812541