Brooke Logan, New Haven Health Dept (NHHD), Health Program Director and Chi Ngo, YSPH MPH candidate and NHHD intern review the day’s schedule for the NHHD Community Outreach van which provides a venue for HIV and HEP C testing and syringe exchange services. It is also used to distribute bags of groceries, condoms, and HIV prevention education materials.
Public Health Practicum (EPH 500b) is offered to second-year students and advanced professional (AP) students in the spring semester. The course combines experiential learning and guided classroom discussion. Students select a field placement where they apply public health concepts and competencies learned in the classroom through a practice experience that is relevant to their interests and area of specialization. For further information contact Diane Frankel-Gramelis or Elaine O'Keefe.
Examples of recent projects and placements
- Evaluation of Yale Cancer Survivorship Program
Community Alliance for Research and Engagement (CARE)
- Demographic and physiologic predictors of hypertension in youth.
- ESTEEM - LGBTQ assessments and data management.
Connecticut Health Foundation
- Drafting a report to document CHF oral health programs and their contributions to improving the state's oral health care and outcomes.
VA Connecticut Healthcare System
- Disability beliefs associated with health care access among veterans with musculoskeletal
and substance use disorders filing for compensation
Clinical and Community Research
- Research at the Intersection of HIV, Substance Use, Mental Illness, and the Criminal Justice System
Planned Parenthood of Southern New England, Inc.
- Evaluation of STARS (Student Teaching About Responsible Sexuality) teen peer education program
New Haven Health Department
- Designing educational and promotional materials for “Camp Easy Breezy” Asthma Program
National Cancer Institute/Yale Cancer Center/Smilow Cancer Hospital
- “Screen to Save” NCI Colorectal Cancer Outreach and Screening Initiative
Yale Department of OB/GYN SRC Campus
- Prenatal Breastfeeding Education Intervention
The Consultation Center
- Implementation study of the Transitions Clinic Network.
VA Connecticut Health Care System (VACTHS)
- Clinical Surveillance Program for High Risk Adenoma Patients in the VA System