Legislation could support breastfeeding practices to grow to 100 per cent
Samoa should develop a national breastfeeding policy and ratify international maternity protections to better support women with newborns, says a public health specialist. The United Nations reports 81 per cent of Samoa’s babies are being breastfed from birth, and seven in 10 are being exclusively breastfed for their first six months, which are results to be commended. But the remaining 19 per cent of babies need to be addressed, and Christina Soti-Ulberg believes both national and international plans could go a long way to improve the situation.
Se realizó Sexto Foro Nacional de Lactancia Materna 2018. La Transformación empieza con la Lactancia
Al inaugurar el “Sexto Foro Nacional de Lactancia Materna 2018. La Transformación empieza con la Lactancia”, la diputada Martha Tagle Martínez dijo que alimentar al bebé con leche materna durante la primera hora de vida, puede prevenir hasta 22% de muertes neonatales.
There's a lack of US leadership on breastfeeding
In July, the World Health Assembly in Geneva made news when delegates passed a resolution promoting breastfeeding. The controversy wasn’t that the resolution passed (it was expected to, without fanfare), but rather that it almost didn’t due to the energetic efforts of a surprising antagonist.
Infant Health is the Top Priority
Breastfeeding (BF) support is one of the most cost-effective interventions to advance mother–child health worldwide. Large-scale BF support may prevent 11.6% of infant deaths and improves cognitive development. Read the joint statement from Dean Sten Vermund and Rafael Pérez-Escamilla.
Is Infant Formula Ever A Good Option In Poor Countries?
The long-running breast milk vs. formula debate made headlines earlier this week. The first problem arises because powdered formula requires a dependable source of clean water, which is not available to some 780 million people, according to the World Health Organization.
Why The Breastfeeding Vs. Formula Debate Is Especially Critical In Poor Countries
In poor countries, a mother's decision about breastfeeding can be critical for her baby's survival. That's because formula carries special risks for low-income families. According to Rafael Perez-Escamilla, director of Global Health Concentration at the Yale School of Public Health. "If the water is not clean, formula becomes a death sentence for the infant."
Trump Administration Denies Threatening Ecuador Over A Breastfeeding Resolution
U.S. officials made threats to Ecuador in an attempt to water down a resolution in support of breastfeeding, according to a report in The New York Times. The news report has garnered strong reaction from the U.S. government. Rafael Perez-Escamilla, a professor at the Yale School of Public Health, told NPR this is part of a larger trend in the current administration "to help maximize profits at the expense of public health."
New Zealand’s Diverse Breastfeeding Promotion Campaign
In 2008, the Government of New Zealand funded the Ministry of Health (MoH) to develop and implement a national breastfeeding promotion campaign based on formative research and designed to target groups with disparately low breastfeeding rates such as Māori and Pacific people.
Public Health Midwives in Sri Lanka
A longitudinal study in Sri Lanka on the effect of training public health midwives on exclusive breastfeeding reported a highly significant increase in the percentage of mothers breastfeeding their infants for 6 months, as well as the median duration of exclusive breastfeeding–all for a relatively low cost. Today, Sri Lanka has one of the top breastfeeding outcomes in the world with 99% of children ever-breastfed and 82% breastfed exclusively in the first six months in 2016.