FluSurv-NET - Influenza and RSV Surveillance
The Connecticut EIP's FluSurv-NET team conducts surveillance for severe influenza as well as severe respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) infections. Our staff work with the Connecticut Department of Public Health (CTDPH), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and local hospitals to conduct these surveillance activities among residents of southern Connecticut. Together with other FluSurv-NET sites, our data provide near real time estimates of influenza severity in the US.
Our RSV surveillance activities will provide baseline data to estimate the burden of RSV disease in patients of all ages. These data will help measure the impact of RSV medications and vaccines that are on the horizon.
In Connecticut, FluSurv-NET conducts active surveillance for influenza hospitalizations among residents of Middlesex and New Haven Counties. Cases are residents of the catchment area admitted to a hospital with a laboratory-confirmed influenza infection between October 1 and April 30. All influenza hospitalizations are reportable to the CT Department of Public Health (CTDPH) according to state statute. EIP staff act as agents of the state health department in collecting these data. EIP staff collect influenza hospitalization data directly from the hospital medical record for all cases. If insufficient information on influenza vaccine history is recorded in the medical record, then vaccine information is collected by interview.
This is a multi-site project conducted by nine other EIPs in the United States and other state health departments. Comprehensive and aggregate data analyses for this project are ongoing. Data from this system are available for use in near real time via the CDC's interactive FluView application: http://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/FluHospChars.html.
FluSurv-NET also conducts surveillance for laboratory-confirmed RSV infections among patients admitted to Yale New Haven Hospital. As with influenza, data are collected via medical record review. RSV data from Connecticut are pooled with data from other EIP sites and shared with CDC for analysis and publication.
Recent FluSurv-NET Publications
- Outcomes of immunocompromised adults hospitalized with laboratory-confirmed influenza in the United States, 2011-2015.Collins JP, Campbell AP, Openo K, Farley MM, Cummings CN, Hill M, Schaffner W, Lindegren ML, Thomas A, Billing L, Bennett N, Spina N, Bargsten M, Lynfield R, Eckel S, Ryan P, Yousey-Hindes K, Herlihy R, Kirley PD, Garg S, Anderson EJ. Clin Infect Dis. 2019 Jul 11; 2019 Jul 11. PMID: 31298691.
- Age-Related Differences in Hospitalization Rates, Clinical Presentation, and Outcomes Among Older Adults Hospitalized With Influenza-U.S. Influenza Hospitalization Surveillance Network (FluSurv-NET).Czaja CA, Miller L, Alden N, Wald HL, Cummings CN, Rolfes MA, Anderson EJ, Bennett NM, Billing LM, Chai SJ, Eckel S, Mansmann R, McMahon M, Monroe ML, Muse A, Risk I, Schaffner W, Thomas AR, Yousey-Hindes K, Garg S, Herlihy RK. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2019 Jul 1. PMID: 31363771.
- Effects of Influenza Vaccination in the United States during the 2017-2018 Influenza Season.Rolfes MA, Flannery B, Chung J, O'Halloran A, Garg S, Belongia EA, Gaglani M, Zimmerman R, Jackson ML, Monto AS, Alden NB, Anderson E, Bennett NM, Billing L, Eckel S, Kirley PD, Lynfield R, Monroe ML, Spencer M, Spina N, Talbot HK, Thomas A, Torres S, Yousey-Hindes K, Singleton J, Patel M, Reed C, Fry AM. Clin Infect Dis. 2019 Feb 2; 2019 Feb 2. PMID: 30715278.
- Clinical Features and Outcomes of Immunocompromised Children Hospitalized With Laboratory-Confirmed Influenza in the United States, 2011-2015.Collins JP, Campbell AP, Openo K, Farley MM, Cummings CN, Kirley PD, Herlihy R, Yousey-Hindes K, Monroe ML, Ladisky M, Lynfield R, Baumbach J, Spina N, Bennett N, Billing L, Thomas A, Schaffner W, Price A, Garg S, Anderson EJ. J Pediatric Infect Dis Soc. 2018 Oct 25; 2018 Oct 25. PMID: 30358877.
- Social determinants of influenza hospitalization in the United States.Chandrasekhar R, Sloan C, Mitchel E, Ndi D, Alden N, Thomas A, Bennett NM, Kirley PD, Hill M, Anderson EJ, Lynfield R, Yousey-Hindes K, Bargsten M, Zansky SM, Lung K, Schroeder M, Monroe M, Eckel S, Markus TM, Cummings CN, Garg S, Schaffner W, Lindegren ML. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2017 Nov; 2017 Oct 6. PMID: 28872776.
- Influenza Vaccination Modifies Disease Severity Among Community-dwelling Adults Hospitalized With Influenza.Arriola C, Garg S, Anderson EJ, Ryan PA, George A, Zansky SM, Bennett N, Reingold A, Bargsten M, Miller L, Yousey-Hindes K, Tatham L, Bohm SR, Lynfield R, Thomas A, Lindegren ML, Schaffner W, Fry AM, Chaves SS. Clin Infect Dis. 2017 Oct 15. PMID: 28525597.
- Impact of pregnancy on observed sex disparities among adults hospitalized with laboratory-confirmed influenza, FluSurv-NET, 2010-2012.Kline K, Hadler JL, Yousey-Hindes K, Niccolai L, Kirley PD, Miller L, Anderson EJ, Monroe ML, Bohm SR, Lynfield R, Bargsten M, Zansky SM, Lung K, Thomas AR, Brady D, Schaffner W, Reed G, Garg S. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2017 Sep; 2017 Aug 1. PMID: 28703414.
- Increased Antiviral Treatment Among Hospitalized Children and Adults With Laboratory-Confirmed Influenza, 2010-2015.Appiah GD, Chaves SS, Kirley PD, Miller L, Meek J, Anderson E, Oni O, Ryan P, Eckel S, Lynfield R, Bargsten M, Zansky SM, Bennett N, Lung K, McDonald-Hamm C, Thomas A, Brady D, Lindegren ML, Schaffner W, Hill M, Garg S, Fry AM, Campbell AP. Clin Infect Dis. 2017 Feb 1; 2016 Nov 10. PMID: 28013261.
- Case-Control Study of Vaccine Effectiveness in Preventing Laboratory-Confirmed Influenza Hospitalizations in Older Adults, United States, 2010-2011.Havers F, Sokolow L, Shay DK, Farley MM, Monroe M, Meek J, Daily Kirley P, Bennett NM, Morin C, Aragon D, Thomas A, Schaffner W, Zansky SM, Baumbach J, Ferdinands J, Fry AM. Clin Infect Dis. 2016 Nov 15; 2016 Aug 2. PMID: 27486114.
- Benefit of Early Initiation of Influenza Antiviral Treatment to Pregnant Women Hospitalized With Laboratory-Confirmed Influenza.Oboho IK, Reed C, Gargiullo P, Leon M, Aragon D, Meek J, Anderson EJ, Ryan P, Lynfield R, Morin C, Bargsten M, Zansky SM, Fowler B, Thomas A, Lindegren ML, Schaffner W, Risk I, Finelli L, Chaves SS. J Infect Dis. 2016 Aug 15; 2016 Feb 3. PMID: 26908745.
- Utility of Keywords from Chest Radiograph Reports for Pneumonia Surveillance Among Hospitalized Patients with Influenza: The CDC Influenza Hospitalization Surveillance Network, 2008-2009.Bramley AM, Chaves SS, Dawood FS, Doshi S, Reingold A, Miller L, Yousey-Hindes K, Farley MM, Ryan P, Lynfield R, Baumbach J, Zansky S, Bennett N, Thomas A, Schaffner W, Finelli L, Jain S. Public Health Rep. 2016 May-Jun. PMID: 27252568.
- Survey of influenza and other respiratory viruses diagnostic testing in US hospitals, 2012-2013.Su S, Fry AM, Kirley PD, Aragon D, Yousey-Hindes K, Meek J, Openo K, Oni O, Sharangpani R, Morin C, Hollick G, Lung K, Laidler M, Lindegren ML, Schaffner W, Atkinson A, Chaves SS. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2016 Mar; 2016 Jan 29. PMID: 26505742.
Influenza Related Links
Influenza SurveillanceConnecticut Department of Public Health's Influenza Statistics
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Weekly Influenza Surveilance Report - FluView
World Health Organization's Global Influenza Programme
Influenza Vaccine InformationCDC Prevention and Control of Influenza with Vaccines: Recommendations of the ACIP, United States, 2019-20 Influenza Season
Connecticut Department of Public Health Immunization Program
FluSurv-News, December 2018
Project Contact Person
Kimberly Yousey-Hindes, MPH, CPH
Influenza Program Coordinator
Connecticut Emerging Infections Program
One Church Street, 7th floor
New Haven, CT 06510
FluSurv-Net and RSV Staff: