Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome; Epidemiology; Ethics; HIV; Human Rights; Public Health; Violence; Global Health; Infectious Disease Medicine; Diseases
Public Health Interests
Ethics; Global Health; Health Equity, Disparities, Social Determiants and Justice
Formative Childhood and Peace Building
Dr. Khoshnood is an infectious disease epidemiologist and his primary research interests are the epidemiology, prevention and control of HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis among drug users, prisoners and other at risk populations in United States and in resource-poor countries. Dr. Khoshnood's other interests are the examination of the links between health and human rights, the role of health in international relations and the ethical dilemmas in research involving vulnerable populations. Dr. Khoshnood conducts research and mentors researchers from China, India, Russia, South Africa and Iran and teaches courses on HIV/AIDS, infectious disease and research ethics.
Specialized Terms: Infectious disease epidemiology
Extensive Research Description
Kaveh Khoshnood is an associate professor of epidemiology at the Yale School of Public Health. His research interests include the epidemiology, prevention and control of HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis among drug users, prisoners and other at risk populations in the United States and in resource-poor countries. Dr. Khoshnood also studies the links between health and human rights, the role of health in international relations and the ethical dilemmas in research involving vulnerable populations. Dr. Khoshnood conducts research and mentors researchers in China, India, Russia, South Africa and Iran. He is an associate director of the Law, Policy and Ethics Core at the Yale Center for Interdisciplinary Research on AIDS. Dr. Khoshnood is also the director of Global Health Fellowships and Internships at Yale University and is the program director of Global Health Studies and the Global Health Fellows Program at Yale College.
Dr. Khoshnood received his M.P.H. and Ph.D. from the Yale School of Public Health. He received the Teacher of the Year Award from the Yale School of Public Health and the Surgeon General’s Certificate of Appreciation. Dr. Khoshnood also served as a consultant for the Office of AIDS Research at the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
Exploring the Ethics of Observational Research: The Case of an HIV Study in Tanzania.
Norris A, Jackson A, Khoshnood K. Exploring the Ethics of Observational Research: The Case of an HIV Study in Tanzania. AJOB Primary Research 2012, 3:30-39. 2012
Opiate use, treatment, and harm reduction in Afghanistan: recent changes and future directions.
Todd CS, Macdonald D, Khoshnood K, Mansoor GF, Eggerman M, Panter-Brick C. Opiate use, treatment, and harm reduction in Afghanistan: recent changes and future directions. The International Journal On Drug Policy 2012, 23:341-5. 2012
HIV/AIDS in the Middle East and North Africa: new study methods, results, and implications for prevention and care.
McFarland W, Abu-Raddad LJ, Mahfoud Z, DeJong J, Riedner G, Forsyth A, Khoshnood K. HIV/AIDS in the Middle East and North Africa: new study methods, results, and implications for prevention and care. AIDS (London, England) 2010, 24 Suppl 2:S1-4. 2010
With so much need, where do I serve?
Haq C, Lukolyo H, Graber LK, Elansary M, Khoshnood K, Rastegar A. With so much need, where do I serve? The Virtual Mentor : VM 2010, 12:149-58. 2010
Caring for patients in low-resource settings.
Provenzano AM, Khoshnood K. Caring for patients in low-resource settings. The Virtual Mentor : VM 2010, 12:167-70. 2010
Assessment of HIV testing of urban injection drug users: implications for expansion of HIV testing and prevention efforts.
Heimer R, Grau LE, Curtin E, Khoshnood K, Singer M. Assessment of HIV testing of urban injection drug users: implications for expansion of HIV testing and prevention efforts. American Journal Of Public Health 2007, 97:110-6. 2007
Anxiety, depression, and posttraumatic stress in Iranian survivors of chemical warfare.
Hashemian F, Khoshnood K, Desai MM, Falahati F, Kasl S, Southwick S. Anxiety, depression, and posttraumatic stress in Iranian survivors of chemical warfare. JAMA 2006, 296:560-6. 2006
Profiles of risk: a qualitative study of injecting drug users in Tehran, Iran.
Razzaghi EM, Movaghar AR, Green TC, Khoshnood K. Profiles of risk: a qualitative study of injecting drug users in Tehran, Iran. Harm Reduction Journal 2006, 3:12. 2006
Assessing the efficacy of a voluntary HIV counseling and testing intervention for pregnant women and male partners in Urumqi City, China.
Khoshnood K, Wilson KS, Filardo G, Liu Z, Keung NH, Wu Z. Assessing the efficacy of a voluntary HIV counseling and testing intervention for pregnant women and male partners in Urumqi City, China. AIDS And Behavior 2006, 10:671-81. 2006
Barriers to completion of tuberculosis treatment among prisoners and former prisoners in St. Petersburg, Russia.
Fry RS, Khoshnood K, Vdovichenko E, Granskaya J, Sazhin V, Shpakovskaya L, Zhemkov V, Zhemkova M, Rowhani-Rahbar A, Funk M, Kozlov A. Barriers to completion of tuberculosis treatment among prisoners and former prisoners in St. Petersburg, Russia. The International Journal Of Tuberculosis And Lung Disease : The Official Journal Of The International Union Against Tuberculosis And Lung Disease 2005, 9:1027-33. 2005
Ethical dilemmas created by the criminalization of status behaviors: case examples from ethnographic field research with injection drug users.
Buchanan D, Khoshnood K, Stopka T, Shaw S, Santelices C, Singer M. Ethical dilemmas created by the criminalization of status behaviors: case examples from ethnographic field research with injection drug users. Health Education & Behavior : The Official Publication Of The Society For Public Health Education 2002, 29:30-42. 2002
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Mootz JJ, Taylor L, Wainberg ML, Khoshnood K: Ethical Considerations for Disseminating Research Findings on Gender-Based Violence, Armed Conflict, and Mental Health: A Case Study from Rural Uganda. Health Hum Rights. 2019 Jun. PMID: 31239616
- Gu C, Ye M, Wang X, Yang M, Wang H, Khoshnood K: Nurse researchers' perspectives on research ethics in China. Nurs Ethics. 2019 May; 2017 Aug 16. PMID: 28812946
- Logie CH, Khoshnood K, Okumu M, Rashid SF, Senova F, Meghari H, Kipenda CU: Self care interventions could advance sexual and reproductive health in humanitarian settings. BMJ. 2019 Apr 1; 2019 Apr 1. PMID: 30936067
- Alawa J, Hamade O, Alayleh A, Fayad L, Khoshnood K: Cancer Awareness and Barriers to Medical Treatment Among Syrian Refugees and Lebanese Citizens in Lebanon. J Cancer Educ. 2019 Mar 28; 2019 Mar 28. PMID: 30924080
- Chen WT, Shiu C, Yang JP, Wang K, Zhang L, Zhang J, Reynolds NR, Kennedy HP, Khoshnood K, Chen LC, Bao M, Zhao H, Lu H: Quality of life in HIV-infected Chinese women and their family caregivers: an intervention study. AIDS Care. 2018 Dec; 2018 Aug 15. PMID: 30111163
- Greene MC, Kane JC, Khoshnood K, Ventevogel P, Tol WA: Challenges and opportunities for implementation of substance misuse interventions in conflict-affected populations. Harm Reduct J. 2018 Nov 28; 2018 Nov 28. PMID: 30486840
- Mootz JJ, Muhanguzi FK, Panko P, Mangen PO, Wainberg ML, Pinsky I, Khoshnood K: Armed conflict, alcohol misuse, decision-making, and intimate partner violence among women in Northeastern Uganda: a population level study. Confl Health. 2018; 2018 Aug 6. PMID: 30127845
- Brown B, Galea JT, Dubé K, Davidson P, Khoshnood K, Holtzman L, Marg L, Taylor J: The Need to Track Payment Incentives to Participate in HIV Research. IRB. 2018 Jul-Aug. PMID: 30387975
- Li Z, Morano JP, Khoshnood K, Hsieh E, Sheng Y: HIV-related stigma among people living with HIV/AIDS in rural Central China. BMC Health Serv Res. 2018 Jun 15; 2018 Jun 15. PMID: 29903006
- Alzyoud F, Khoshnood K, Alnatour A, Oweis A: Exposure to verbal abuse and neglect during childbirth among Jordanian women. Midwifery. 2018 Mar; 2017 Dec 14. PMID: 29306737
- Heimer R, Barbour R, Khouri D, Crawford FW, Shebl F, Aaraj E, Khoshnood K: HIV Risk, Prevalence, and Access to Care Among Men Who Have Sex with Men in Lebanon. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2017 Nov; 2017 Jun 29. PMID: 28540733
- Clark KA, Keene DE, Pachankis JE, Fattal O, Rizk N, Khoshnood K: A qualitative analysis of multi-level barriers to HIV testing among women in Lebanon. Cult Health Sex. 2017 Sep; 2017 Feb 13. PMID: 28276925
- Reed E, Fisher CB, Blankenship KM, West BS, Khoshnood K: Why female sex workers participate in HIV research: the illusion of voluntariness. AIDS Care. 2017 Jul; 2016 Dec 28. PMID: 28030960
- Alianmoghaddam N, Khoshnood K, Benn C, Kennedy HP, Lamyian M: Breast Cancer, Breastfeeding, and Mastectomy: A Call for More Research. J Hum Lact. 2017 May; 2016 Nov 24. PMID: 27881730
- Huang FF, Yang Q, Zhang J, Zhang QH, Khoshnood K, Zhang JP: Cross-cultural validation of the moral sensitivity questionnaire-revised Chinese version. Nurs Ethics. 2016 Nov; 2015 May 22. PMID: 26002939
- Brown B, Galea JT, Davidson P, Khoshnood K: Transparency of participant incentives in HIV research. Lancet HIV. 2016 Oct. PMID: 27687034
- West N, Gyeltshen S, Dukpa S, Khoshnood K, Tashi S, Durante A, Parikh S: An Evaluation of the National Malaria Surveillance System of Bhutan, 2006-2012 as It Approaches the Goal of Malaria Elimination. Front Public Health. 2016; 2016 Aug 19. PMID: 27595095
- Huang FF, Yang Q, Zhang J, Khoshnood K, Zhang JP: Chinese nurses' perceived barriers and facilitators of ethical sensitivity. Nurs Ethics. 2016 Aug; 2015 Mar 29. PMID: 25825415
- Tan AX, Kapiga S, Khoshnood K, Bruce RD: Epidemiology of Drug Use and HIV-Related Risk Behaviors among People Who Inject Drugs in Mwanza, Tanzania. PLoS One. 2015; 2015 Dec 23. PMID: 26701616
- Lee BX, Leckman JF, Khoshnood K: Violence, health, and South-North collaboration: Interdisciplinary research in light of the 2030 Agenda. Soc Sci Med. 2015 Dec; 2015 Oct 23. PMID: 26516097
- Wang L, Ge L, Wang L, Morano JP, Guo W, Khoshnood K, Qin Q, Ding Z, Sun D, Liu X, Luo H, Tillman J, Cui Y: Causes of Death among AIDS Patients after Introduction of Free Combination Antiretroviral Therapy (cART) in Three Chinese Provinces, 2010-2011. PLoS One. 2015; 2015 Oct 27. PMID: 26506621
- Su Z, Khoshnood K, Forster SH: Assessing Impact of Community Health Nurses on Improving Primary Care Use by Homeless/Marginally Housed Persons. J Community Health Nurs. 2015 Jul-Sep. PMID: 26212468
- Luo S, Han L, Lu H, Dou Z, Tao Q, Khoshnood K, Wu Z, Xu J: Evaluating the Impact of Test-and-Treat on the HIV Epidemic among MSM in China Using a Mathematical Model. PLoS One. 2015; 2015 Jun 3. PMID: 26039075
- Lai YJ, Liu EY, Wang LM, Morano JP, Wang N, Khoshnood K, Zhou L, Cheng SM: Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection-Associated Mortality during Pulmonary Tuberculosis Treatment in Six Provinces of China. Biomed Environ Sci. 2015 Jun. PMID: 26177902
- Kobeissi L, El Kak FH, Khawaja M, Khoshnood K: HIV/AIDS-related knowledge and its association with socioeconomic status among women: results of Lebanese Survey for Family Health (PAPFAM) 2004. Asia Pac J Public Health. 2015 Mar; 2011 Dec 20. PMID: 22186399
- Chen Y, Shen Z, Morano JP, Khoshnood K, Wu Z, Lan G, Zhu Q, Zhou Y, Tang S, Liu W, Chen J, Tang Z: Bridging the epidemic: a comprehensive analysis of prevalence and correlates of HIV, hepatitis C, and syphilis, and infection among female sex workers in Guangxi Province, China. PLoS One. 2015; 2015 Feb 27. PMID: 25723548
- Mu W, Zhao Y, Khoshnood K, Cheng Y, Sun X, Liu X, Xu W, Wang S, Ma Y, Zhang F: Knowledge and perceptions of sexual and reproductive health and HIV among perinatally HIV-infected adolescents in rural China. AIDS Care. 2015; 2015 Apr 20. PMID: 25894204
- Jefee-Bahloul H, Khoshnood K: Mental health research in the Syrian humanitarian crisis. Front Public Health. 2014; 2014 May 16. PMID: 24904910
- Jack H, Masterson AR, Khoshnood K: Violent conflict and opiate use in low and middle-income countries: a systematic review. Int J Drug Policy. 2014 Mar; 2013 Nov 20. PMID: 24332455
- Hayes-Larson E, Grau LE, Khoshnood K, Barbour R, Khuat OT, Heimer R: Drug users in Hanoi, Vietnam: factors associated with membership in community-based drug user groups. Harm Reduct J. 2013 Nov 22; 2013 Nov 22. PMID: 24268108
- Nutman S, McKee D, Khoshnood K: Externalities of prevention of mother-to-child transmission programs: a systematic review. AIDS Behav. 2013 Feb. PMID: 22711224
- Moran M, Khawaja M, Khoshnood K, Ramahi T, Inhorn MC: Violent conflict and population health in the Middle East. Glob Public Health. 2011. PMID: 24735466
- Jenson A, Omar AL, Omar MA, Rishad AS, Khoshnood K: Assessment of hypertension control in a district of Mombasa, Kenya. Glob Public Health. 2011. PMID: 20845123
- Provenzano AM, Graber LK, Elansary M, Khoshnood K, Rastegar A, Barry M: Short-term global health research projects by US medical students: ethical challenges for partnerships. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2010 Aug. PMID: 20682858
- Griffin N, Khoshnood K: Opium trade, insurgency, and HIV/AIDS in Afghanistan: relationships and regional consequences. Asia Pac J Public Health. 2010 Jul. PMID: 20566549
- Provenzano AM, Khoshnood K: Caring for patients in low-resource settings. Virtual Mentor. 2010 Mar 1; 2010 Mar 1. PMID: 23140862
- Heimer R, Grau LE, Curtin E, Khoshnood K, Singer M: Assessment of HIV testing of urban injection drug users: implications for expansion of HIV testing and prevention efforts. Am J Public Health. 2007 Jan; 2006 Nov 30. PMID: 17138916
- Khoshnood K, Wilson KS, Filardo G, Liu Z, Keung NH, Wu Z: Assessing the efficacy of a voluntary HIV counseling and testing intervention for pregnant women and male partners in Urumqi City, China. AIDS Behav. 2006 Nov. PMID: 16897353
- Hashemian F, Khoshnood K, Desai MM, Falahati F, Kasl S, Southwick S: Anxiety, depression, and posttraumatic stress in Iranian survivors of chemical warfare. JAMA. 2006 Aug 2. PMID: 16882962
- Heffernan RT, Barrett NL, Gallagher KM, Hadler JL, Harrison LH, Reingold AL, Khoshnood K, Holford TR, Schuchat A: Declining incidence of invasive Streptococcus pneumoniae infections among persons with AIDS in an era of highly active antiretroviral therapy, 1995-2000. J Infect Dis. 2005 Jun 15; 2005 May 11. PMID: 15897989
- Altice FL, Marinovich A, Khoshnood K, Blankenship KM, Springer SA, Selwyn PA: Correlates of HIV infection among incarcerated women: implications for improving detection of HIV infection. J Urban Health. 2005 Jun; 2005 May 4. PMID: 15872190
- Durante AJ, Williams AB, Da Costa M, Darragh TM, Khoshnood K, Palefsky JM: Incidence of anal cytological abnormalities in a cohort of human immunodeficiency virus-infected women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2003 Jul. PMID: 12869403
- Heimer R, Clair S, Teng W, Grau LE, Khoshnood K, Singer M: Effects of increasing syringe availability on syringe-exchange use and HIV risk: Connecticut, 1990-2001. J Urban Health. 2002 Dec. PMID: 12468675