In addition to mastering the core curriculum competencies and the competencies for the student’s department or program, each student in the Global Health Concentration learns to analyze and describe international health issues.
All students in the Global Health Concentration will complete:
- Three global health elective courses from at least two of the five perspectives on public health by which global health courses have been categorized.
- Two core courses: Global Health Foundations and Critical Issues in Global Health
- Global Health Capstone
- Summer internship between the first and second years of the M.P.H. program in a low to middle income country.
- If students have already had 10-12 weeks of global public health experience, they can do an internship based in the US as long as it is pertinent to global health. Approval from the GHC office must be obtained prior to beginning the internship.
- International pre-departure training held in the spring semester of the first year.
- Students are strongly encouraged to write a global health-related thesis or participate in a relevant capstone experience (as determined by their department).