Competencies - Health Care Management
Upon receiving an M.P.H. degree with a concentration in Health Care Management, the student will be able to:
- Conduct financial analyses, including reading and analyzing financial statements.
- Conduct economic analyses, including cost-effectiveness analysis, to inform public health management decision-making.
- Apply operations management concepts to address organizational performance issues in health service organizations.
- Apply the principles of marketing analysis and planning to public health programs and health service organizations.
- Utilize statistical analysis skills to conduct health systems and policy research.
- Utilize research design and data management skills to conduct health policy and management research.
- Evaluate health care financing, regulatory and delivery systems.
- Demonstrate written communication skills to effectively communicate in professional health policy and community settings.
- Demonstrate oral communication and presentation skills to effectively communicate in professional health policy and community settings.
- Utilize advocacy, persuasion, and negotiation skills to influence health policy and management decision making.
- Perform strategic analysis and planning for public health care organizations.
- Describe legal perspectives on health policy and management issues, including assessment of legal and regulatory environments in the context of public health.
- Apply ethical decision making in a health care context.
- Apply management problem-solving skills to improve functioning of organizations and agencies in health systems.
- Demonstrate leadership, team-based collaboration, and conflict management skills.
- Coach and provide constructive feedback to colleagues.
- Work with and incorporate perspectives of culturally diverse groups.