Decades of research have shown that social determinants of health - non-medical factors such as income, housing, and access to healthy fool - play crucial roles that influence health outcomes. Researchers at GHLI examine how the integration of social and medical services into a cohesive system could improve health outcomes. Drawing on our expertise in management and quality improvement, we study how health care and social services organizations work together to meet the interrelated medical and social needs of individuals.
- Variation In Health Outcomes: The Role Of Spending On Social Services, Public Health, And Health Care, 2000-09. E. H. Bradley, M. Canavan, E. Rogan, K. Talbert-Slagle, C. Ndumele, L. Taylor and L. A. Curry; Health Aff (Millwood) 2016; 35:760-8.
- Links between social environment and health care utilization and costs. M. A. Brault, A. L. Brewster, E. H. Bradley, D. Keene, A. X. Tan and L. A. Curry; J Gerontol Soc Work 2018;
- Patterns of Collaboration among Health Care and Social Services Providers in Communities with Lower Health Care Utilization and Costs. A. L. Brewster, M. A. Brault, A. X. Tan, L. A. Curry and E. H. Bradley; Health Serv Res 2017;
- Community factors related to healthy eating & active living in counties with lower than expected adult obesity rates. M. E. Canavan, E. Cherlin, S. Boegeman, E. H. Bradley and K. M. Talbert-Slagle; BMC Obes 2016; 3:49.
- State variation in HIV/AIDS health outcomes: the effect of spending on social services and public health. K. M. Talbert-Slagle, M. E. Canavan, E. M. Rogan, L. A. Curry and E. H. Bradley; AIDS 2016; 30:657-63.
- Leveraging the Social Determinants of Health: What Works? L. A. Taylor, A. X. Tan, C. E. Coyle, C. Ndumele, E. Rogan, M. Canavan, L. A. Curry and E. H. Bradley; PLoS One 2016; 11:e0160217.
- Health care and social service spending and outcomes: how does Massachusetts compare with other states? M. Canavan, E. Rogan, L. A. Curry, L. A. Taylor and E. H. Bradley. 2016. Boston, MA; Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts Foundation.