Research & Publications
I am a pulmonary/critical care physician and epidemiologist using translational research and implementation science to improve diagnostic evaluation and case finding for tuberculosis (TB), a leading cause of death in low- and middle-income countries.
I teach a graduate course on implementation science and mentor students at the Yale School of Public Health, and have a leading role in international research training programs in low- and middle-income countries.
I attend in the Medical Intensive Care Unit and the Winchester TB Clinic at Yale-New Haven Hospital as a Yale Medicine physician, and enjoy caring for patients and families, and teaching medical students, residents, and fellows.
Education & Training
- FellowshipPulmonary & Critical Care Medicine, University of California San Francisco (2008)
- MSUniversity of California San Francisco (2008)
- ResidencyOsler Medical Service, Johns Hopkins Hospital (2003)
- MDVanderbilt University (2000)
- ABPrinceton University (1995)
- COVID-19 Contact Tracing New HavenNew Haven, United States 2020Collaboration with New Haven Health Department on a rapid public health evaluation of COVID-19 contact tracing in New Haven using quantitative and qualitative methods
- TB-HIV StigmaKampala, Uganda; Johannesburg, South Africa (2019-2021)
- Zero TB Mongolia InitiativeUlaanbaatar, Mongolia 2018Partnership with the Mongolia Health Initiative and the Mongolia Ministry of Health to evaluate the quality of TB care in Mongolia using the Zero TB Indicator Framework.
- Alianza TB Cali TB CollaborationCali, Colombia 2017TB Research Collaboration with the Centro Internacional de Entrenamiento e Investigaciones Medicas (CIDEIM), Cali Secretary of Health of Cali, Colombia, focused on implementation science and epidemiology to improve TB case-finding, treatment, and prevention through household contact investigation
- TB Education and Counseling for persons living with HIV-TB (TEACH)Kampala, Uganda (2017-2018)Design & implementation of a novel peer educator strategy for medication adherence support of persons living with TB-HIV in Uganda
- Severe Illness Management Support (SIMS)Kasese, Uganda (2014-2016)Prospective pragmatic trial of a complex implementation intervention to improve health worker uptake of WHO severe illness guidelines at multiple general hospitals in Western Uganda
- Pulmonary Complications of AIDS Research Training (PART) ProgramKampala, Uganda 2013Research training program for Ugandan junior investigators focusing on TB and other pulmonary complications of HIV/AIDS
- Uganda TB Implementation Research Consortium (U-TIRC)Kampala, Uganda 2008Implementation research to improve diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of tuberculosis (TB) in partnership with the Uganda National TB Programme (NTLP) and Makerere University.
- Mulago Inpatient Novel Diagnosis of Pneumonia (MIND) StudyKampala, Uganda 2005Long-standing research study examining diagnosis, pathogenesis, and outcomes of tuberculosis (TB) and other pulmonary complications of HIV among hospitalized adults in Uganda