Research & Publications
I am a pulmonary/critical care physician and epidemiologist seeking to improve diagnostic evaluation and case finding for tuberculosis (TB) using translational research and implementation science.
I teach a graduate course on implementation science and mentor master's and doctoral students at the Yale School of Public Health. I lead a Fogarty research training program on TB and other pulmonary complications of HIV/AIDS in Uganda.
I attend in the Medical Intensive Care Unit and the Winchester TB Clinic at Yale-New Haven Hospital as a Yale Medicine physician. I enjoy caring for patients and families, and teaching medical students, residents, and fellows.
Education & Training
- MSUniversity of California San Francisco (2008)
- MDVanderbilt University (2000)
- ABPrinceton University (1995)
- FellowshipPulmonary & Critical Care Medicine, University of California San Francisco
- ResidencyOsler Medical Service, Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Zero TB MongoliaUlaanbaatar, Mongolia 2018In partnership with the Mongolian Health Initiative and the Mongolia Ministry of Health, the Yale School of Public Health and the Yale Center for Implementation and Prevention Sciences (CMIPS) are carrying out a large public health evaluation of the quality of TB care services in three districts of Mongolia using the Zero TB Indicator Framework. Our adaptation of this comprehensive approach, which will assess all aspects of TB cases finding, treatment, and prevention, is a first for Mongolia, and promises to provide an innovative approach for using routinely collected data to improve the quality of care in pursuit of the objectives of the Global END TB Strategy in Mongolia and beyond.
- Cali TB CollaborationCali, Colombia 2017In collaboration with the Centro Internacional de Entrenamiento e Investigaciones Medicas (CIDEIM), the Secretary of Health of Cali, Colombia, and Universidad ICESI, we are carrying out a comprehensive mixed-methods evaluation of the quality of household TB contact investigation in Cali, and developing a novel implementation strategy for improving the delivery of contact investigation using user-centered design.
- TB Education and Counseling in HIV-prevalent settings (TEACH)Tugela Ferry, South Africa; Kampala, Uganda (2017-2018)This preliminary study will use implementation science to adapt and introduce a intervention to improve uptake of guidelines on education and counseling among HIV-TB co-infected patients initiating TB treatment in South Africa and Uganda.
- Severe Illness Management Support (SIMS)Kasese, Uganda 2014Prospective pragmatic trial of a complex implementation intervention to improve health worker uptake of WHO severe illness guidelines at multiple general hospitals in Western Uganda
- Pulmonary Complications of AIDS Research Training (PART) ProgramKampala, Uganda 2013Research training program for Ugandan junior investigators interested in applying translational research methods to the study of TB and other pulmonary complications of HIV/AIDS
- Uganda TB Implementation Research Consortium (U-TIRC)Kampala, Uganda 2008Implementation research to improve diagnosis and treatment of tuberculosis (TB) in partnership with the Uganda National TB Programme and Makerere University. Ongoing projects focus on contact investigation, pediatric TB diagnosis and management, single-specimen microscopy, and Xpert MTB/RIF implementation.
- Mulago Inpatient Novel Diagnosis of Pneumonia (MIND) StudyKampala, Uganda 2005A cross-sectional study examining the diagnosis of tuberculosis (TB) and other pulmonary complications of HIV at Mulago Hospital