Research & Publications
I am a pulmonary/critical care physician and epidemiologist seeking to improve diagnostic evaluation and case finding for tuberculosis (TB) using translational research and implementation science.
I teach a graduate course on implementation science and mentor master's and doctoral students at the Yale School of Public Health. I lead a Fogarty research training program on TB and other pulmonary complications of HIV/AIDS in Uganda.
I attend in the Medical Intensive Care Unit and the Winchester TB Clinic at Yale-New Haven Hospital as a Yale Medicine physician. I enjoy caring for patients and families, and teaching medical students, residents, and fellows.
Education & Training
- MSUniversity of California San Francisco (2008)
- MDVanderbilt University (2000)
- ABPrinceton University (1995)
- FellowshipPulmonary & Critical Care Medicine, University of California San Francisco
- ResidencyOsler Medical Service, Johns Hopkins Hospital
- TB Education and Counseling in HIV-prevalent settings (TEACH)Tugela Ferry, South Africa (2017-2018)This preliminary study will use implementation science to adapt and introduce a intervention to improve uptake of guidelines on education and counseling among HIV-TB co-infected patients initiating TB treatment in South Africa and Uganda.
- TB Education and Counseling in HIV-prevalent settings (TEACH)Kampala, Uganda (2017-2018)This preliminary study will use implementation science to adapt and introduce a intervention to improve uptake of guidelines on education and counseling among HIV-TB co-infected patients initiating TB treatment in South Africa and Uganda.
- Severe Illness Management Support (SIMS)Kasese, Uganda 2014Prospective pragmatic trial of a complex implementation intervention to improve health worker uptake of WHO severe illness guidelines at multiple general hospitals in Western Uganda
- Pulmonary Complications of AIDS Research Training (PART) ProgramKampala, Uganda 2013Research training program for Ugandan junior investigators interested in applying translational research methods to the study of TB and other pulmonary complications of HIV/AIDS
- Uganda TB Implementation Research Consortium (U-TIRC)Kampala, Uganda 2008Implementation research to improve diagnosis and treatment of tuberculosis (TB) in partnership with the Uganda National TB Programme and Makerere University. Ongoing projects focus on contact investigation, pediatric TB diagnosis and management, single-specimen microscopy, and Xpert MTB/RIF implementation.
- Mulago Inpatient Novel Diagnosis of Pneumonia (MIND) StudyKampala, Uganda 2005A cross-sectional study examining the diagnosis of tuberculosis (TB) and other pulmonary complications of HIV at Mulago Hospital