Research & Publications
Dr. Bernstein develops screening and treatment interventions for tobacco users in the hospital settings, and programs to train providers in tobacco control.
He is also interested in implementation science, and is the founding Director of the Yale Center for Implementation Science.
He is currently studying the efficacy of a brief counseling intervention, nicotine replacement therapy, a telephone quitline service, and an SMS texting program in helping adult smokers in the emergency department quit. Another project is using network analysis to model patterns of adherence and abstinence in human health behavior. He is also the director of a new training program in implementation science.
He has additional interests in teaching the principles of public health, population health, and prevention to medical students, residents, and practitioners.
He maintains an active clinical practice in the ED at Yale New Haven Hospital.
Education & Training
- Visiting FellowYale University School of Medicine (2001)
- Board CertificationAB of Emergency Medicine, Emergency Medicine (1993, recertified: 2013)
- ResidentLong Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, New York (1992)
- FellowState University of New York Health Science Center at Brooklyn, Brooklyn, New York (1989)
- Board CertificationAB of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine (1988)
- InternSuny Health Sciences Center Brooklyn, New York (1988)
- MDTemple University School of Medicine (1985)
- ABPrinceton University, Biochemistry/Program in Science in Human Affairs (1981)
Honors & Recognition
|Top Consultant||Annals of Emergency Medicine||2009|
|Fellow||New York Academy of Medicine, New York Academy of Medicine||2006|
|Interventions to Prevent and Treat Addictions CSR Study Section||Committee Member||2019 - 2021|
|NIH/National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism||Chair, Review Panel||2014|
|NIH/National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute||2013|
|NIH/National Cancer Institute||Special Emphasis Panel||2010 - 2012|
|Member, Admissions Committee, Yale School of Medicine, 2014-present|