Hepatitis C; Internal Medicine; Liver; Communicable Diseases, Emerging; Infectious Disease Medicine
My research interests lie primarily in the area of emerging infectious diseases. I have worked to develop surveillance systems for the detection of emerging pathogens, developed hospital and practice–based cohorts to define infectious disease burden and epidemiology, and performed a number of validation studies to limit biases in estimation of incidence rates. My current work focuses largely on the epidemiology of chronic liver disease with an emphasis on liver disease due to hepatitis C infection.
Specialized Terms: Emerging infectious diseases
Comparison of Visual and Spectrophotometric Methods of Broth Microdilution MIC Endpoint Determination and Evaluation of a Sterol Quantitation Method for In Vitro Susceptibility Testing of Fluconazole and Itraconazole against Trailing and Non-Trailing Isolates of Candida Species.
Arthington-Skaggs, BA, Lee-Yang, W., Ciblak, MA, Frade, JP, Brandt, ME, Hajjeh, RA, Harrison, LH, Sofair, AN, Warnock, DW. Comparison of Visual and Spectrophotometric Methods of Broth Microdilution MIC Endpoint Determination and Evaluation of a Sterol Quantitation Method for In Vitro Susceptibility Testing of Fluconazole and Itraconazole against Trailing and Non-Trailing Isolates of Candida Species. Journal of Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapeutics 46(8): 2477-81.
- Hepatitis C. Part 2. Consultant Sofair, AN. Hepatitis C. Part 2. Consultant. 2002 42(4): 465-473.
- Hepatitis C. Part 1. Sofair, AN. Hepatitis C. Part 1. Consultant. 2002 42(2): 157-161.
Surveillance for Unexplained Illness and Deaths, 1995-1999.
Hajjeh, R, Relman, D, Cieslak, P, Sofair, AN, Fisher, M, Zaki, S, Shieh, W, Passaro, D, Johnson, J. , Perkins, B, Surveillance for Unexplained Illness and Deaths, 1995-1999. Emerging Infectious Diseases Journal. 2002 8: 145-153.
- Anthrax-what you-and your patients-need to know now. Bia, F. and Sofair, AN. Anthrax-what you-and your patients-need to know now. Consultant. 2001 41(14): 1797-1805.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Holt SR, Sofair AN: Resident and Faculty Perceptions of Chart-Stimulated Recall. South Med J. 2017 Feb. PMID: 28158886
- Walker T, Dusabejambo V, Ho JJ, Karigire C, Richards B, Sofair AN: An International Collaboration for the Training of Medical Chief Residents in Rwanda. Ann Glob Health. 2017 Mar - Apr. PMID: 28619410
- Chaiyachati KH, Sofair AN, Schwartz JI, Chia D: Discharge Rounds: Implementation of a Targeted Intervention for Improving Patient Throughput on an Inpatient Medical Teaching Service. South Med J. 2016 May. PMID: 27135731
- Manthous CA, Sofair AN: On Medicaid and the Affordable Care Act in Connecticut: the problem with subspecialty services. Yale J Biol Med. 2014 Dec; 2014 Dec 12. PMID: 25506291
- Fogerty RL, Heavner JJ, Moriarty JP, Sofair AN, Jenq G: Novel integration of systems-based practice into internal medicine residency programs: the Interactive Cost-Awareness Resident Exercise (I-CARE). Teach Learn Med. 2014. PMID: 24405352
- Manthous CA, Grewal Y, Sofair AN: Medicaid patients' access to subspecialty ambulatory care in connecticut. J Grad Med Educ. 2011 Dec. PMID: 23205216
- Chalkias S, Samson SN, Tiniakou E, Sofair AN: Poststreptococcal cutaneous leukocytoclastic vasculitis: a case report. Conn Med. 2010 Aug. PMID: 20806618
- Sofair AN, Barry V, Manos MM, Thomas A, Zaman A, Terrault NA, Murphy RC, Stabach N, Huie S, Van Ness G, Bell BP, Bialek S: The epidemiology and clinical characteristics of patients with newly diagnosed alcohol-related liver disease: results from population-based surveillance. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2010 Apr. PMID: 19745759
- Ferrucci LM, Bell BP, Dhotre KB, Manos MM, Terrault NA, Zaman A, Murphy RC, Vanness GR, Thomas AR, Bialek SR, Desai MM, Sofair AN: Complementary and alternative medicine use in chronic liver disease patients. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2010 Feb. PMID: 19779363
- Sofair AN, Huie-White S, Stabach N, Fine M, Wright R: Use of fax-back surveillance to determine epidemiologic and clinical characteristics of patients diagnosed with hepatitis C in Waterbury, Connecticut. Conn Med. 2009 Nov-Dec. PMID: 19947058
- Robert M, Sofair AN, Thomas A, Bell B, Bialek S, Corless C, Van Ness G, Huie-White S, Stabach N, Zaman A: A comparison of hepatopathologists' and community pathologists' review of liver biopsy specimens from patients with hepatitis C. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009 Mar; 2008 Dec 13. PMID: 19138761
- Durante AJ, Meek JI, St Louis T, Navarro VJ, Sofair AN: Quantifying the burden of chronic viral hepatitis-related cirrhosis hospitalizations in New Haven County, Connecticut. Conn Med. 2008 Aug. PMID: 18763666
- Durante AJ, St Louis T, Meek JI, Navarro VJ, Sofair AN: The mortality burden of chronic liver disease may be substantially underestimated in the United States. Conn Med. 2008 Aug. PMID: 18763665
- Palumbo JP, Meek JI, Fazio DM, Turner SB, Hadler JL, Sofair AN: Unexplained deaths in Connecticut, 2002-2003: failure to consider category a bioterrorism agents in differential diagnoses. Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2008 Jun. PMID: 18525371
- Prasad M, Buller GK, Mena CI, Sofair AN: Clinical problem-solving. Sum of the parts. N Engl J Med. 2006 Dec 7. PMID: 17151369
- Sofair AN, Lyon GM, Huie-White S, Reiss E, Harrison LH, Sanza LT, Arthington-Skaggs BA, Fridkin SK: Epidemiology of community-onset candidemia in Connecticut and Maryland. Clin Infect Dis. 2006 Jul 1; 2006 May 30. PMID: 16758415