Mental Disorders; Cardiovascular Diseases; Epidemiologic Methods; Health Services Research; Public Health; Quality of Health Care; Veterans; Global Health; Emigrants and Immigrants
Public Health Interests
Cardiovascular Disease; Epidemiology Methods; Global Health; Health Care Quality; Mental Health
Obesity Research Working Group
South Asian Studies
Professor Desai directs Yale's Advanced Professional MPH Program and teaches courses on epidemiologic research methods and data analysis. His research interests focus on: (1) improving the quality and outcomes of medical care in complex and vulnerable populations, including persons with mental disorders, veterans, immigrants, and the elderly; and (2) workforce issues in public health and medicine. Professor Desai’s interests also include global health, cardiovascular disease, and psychosocial epidemiology.
Specialized Terms: Epidemiologic Methods; Health Services Research; Mental Disorders; Cardiovascular Disease; Global Health
Beyond insurance coverage: usual source of care in the treatment of hypertension and hypercholesterolemia. Data from the 2003-2006 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.
Spatz ES, Ross JS, Desai MM, Canavan ME, Krumholz HM. Beyond insurance coverage: usual source of care in the treatment of hypertension and hypercholesterolemia. Data from the 2003-2006 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. American Heart Journal 2010, 160:115-21.
Prevalence and correlates of community re-entry challenges faced by HIV-infected male prisoners in Malaysia.
Choi P, Kavasery R, Desai MM, Govindasamy S, Kamarulzaman A, Altice FL. Prevalence and correlates of community re-entry challenges faced by HIV-infected male prisoners in Malaysia. International Journal Of STD & AIDS 2010, 21:416-23.
Assessment of latrine use and quality and association with risk of trachoma in rural Tanzania.
Montgomery MA, Desai MM, Elimelech M. Assessment of latrine use and quality and association with risk of trachoma in rural Tanzania. Transactions Of The Royal Society Of Tropical Medicine And Hygiene 2010, 104:283-9.
Race/ethnicity and workplace discrimination: results of a national survey of physicians.
Nunez-Smith M, Pilgrim N, Wynia M, Desai MM, Jones BA, Bright C, Krumholz HM, Bradley EH. Race/ethnicity and workplace discrimination: results of a national survey of physicians. Journal Of General Internal Medicine 2009, 24:1198-204.
Statistical models and patient predictors of readmission for acute myocardial infarction: a systematic review.
Desai MM, Stauffer BD, Feringa HH, Schreiner GC. Statistical models and patient predictors of readmission for acute myocardial infarction: a systematic review. Circulation. Cardiovascular Quality And Outcomes 2009, 2:500-7.
From here to JUPITER: identifying new patients for statin therapy using data from the 1999-2004 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.
Spatz ES, Canavan ME, Desai MM. From here to JUPITER: identifying new patients for statin therapy using data from the 1999-2004 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Circulation. Cardiovascular Quality And Outcomes 2009, 2:41-8.
Prevalence and correlates of human immunodeficiency virus testing and posttest counseling among outpatients with serious mental illness.
Desai MM, Rosenheck RA, Desai RA. Prevalence and correlates of human immunodeficiency virus testing and posttest counseling among outpatients with serious mental illness. The Journal Of Nervous And Mental Disease 2007, 195:776-80.
Case-finding for depression among medical outpatients in the Veterans Health Administration.
Desai MM, Rosenheck RA, Craig TJ. Case-finding for depression among medical outpatients in the Veterans Health Administration. Medical Care 2006, 44:175-81.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Smith EB, Desai MM, Slade M, Levy BR: Positive Aging Views in the General Population Predict Better Long-Term Cognition for Elders in Eight Countries. J Aging Health. 2018 Jul 24; 2018 Jul 24. PMID: 30041558
- Loeliger KB, Altice FL, Desai MM, Ciarleglio MM, Gallagher C, Meyer JP: Predictors of linkage to HIV care and viral suppression after release from jails and prisons: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet HIV. 2018 Feb; 2017 Nov 27. PMID: 29191440
- Ojo TT, Hawley NL, Desai MM, Akiteng AR, Guwatudde D, Schwartz JI: Exploring knowledge and attitudes toward non-communicable diseases among village health teams in Eastern Uganda: a cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health. 2017 Dec 12; 2017 Dec 12. PMID: 29233114
- Bikdeli B, Chatterjee S, Desai NR, Kirtane AJ, Desai MM, Bracken MB, Spencer FA, Monreal M, Goldhaber SZ, Krumholz HM: Inferior Vena Cava Filters to Prevent Pulmonary Embolism: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017 Sep 26. PMID: 28935036
- Martínez-Valencia AJ, Daza-Rivera CF, Rosales-Chilama M, Cossio A, Casadiego Rincón EJ, Desai MM, Saravia NG, Gómez MA: Clinical and parasitological factors in parasite persistence after treatment and clinical cure of cutaneous leishmaniasis. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017 Jul; 2017 Jul 13. PMID: 28704369
- Choy CC, Desai MM, Park JJ, Frame EA, Thompson AA, Naseri T, Reupena MS, Duckham RL, Deziel NC, Hawley NL: Child, maternal and household-level correlates of nutritional status: a cross-sectional study among young Samoan children. Public Health Nutr. 2017 May; 2017 Feb 6. PMID: 28162141
- Jordan ML, Perez-Escamilla R, Desai MM, Shamah-Levy T: Household Food Insecurity and Sleep Patterns Among Mexican Adults: Results from ENSANUT-2012. J Immigr Minor Health. 2016 Oct. PMID: 26163336
- Mukherjee TI, Wickersham JA, Desai MM, Pillai V, Kamarulzaman A, Altice FL: Factors associated with interest in receiving prison-based methadone maintenance therapy in Malaysia. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016 Jul 1; 2016 May 9. PMID: 27207155
- Bikdeli B, Wang Y, Minges KE, Desai NR, Kim N, Desai MM, Spertus JA, Masoudi FA, Nallamothu BK, Goldhaber SZ, Krumholz HM: Vena Caval Filter Utilization and Outcomes in Pulmonary Embolism: Medicare Hospitalizations From 1999 to 2010. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016 Mar 8. PMID: 26940921
- Wong RL, Fahs DB, Talwalkar JS, Colson ER, Desai MM, Kayingo G, Balanda M, Luczak AG, Rosenthal MS: A longitudinal study of health professional students' attitudes towards interprofessional education at an American university. J Interprof Care. 2016. PMID: 27026189
- Kianoush S, Bikdeli B, Desai MM, Eikelboom JW: Risk of Stent Thrombosis and Major Bleeding with Bivalirudin Compared with Active Control: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Randomized Trials. Thromb Res. 2015 Dec; 2015 Jun 6. PMID: 26077961
- Minges KE, Bikdeli B, Wang Y, Kim N, Curtis JP, Desai MM, Krumholz HM: National Trends in Pulmonary Embolism Hospitalization Rates and Outcomes for Adults Aged ≥65 Years in the United States (1999 to 2010). Am J Cardiol. 2015 Nov 1; 2015 Aug 14. PMID: 26409636
- Bovino LR, Funk M, Pelter MM, Desai MM, Jefferson V, Andrews LK, Forte K: The Value of Continuous ST-Segment Monitoring in the Emergency Department. Adv Emerg Nurs J. 2015 Oct-Dec. PMID: 26509726
- Braun ES, Crawford FW, Desai MM, Meek J, Kirley PD, Miller L, Anderson EJ, Oni O, Ryan P, Lynfield R, Bargsten M, Bennett NM, Lung KL, Thomas A, Mermel E, Lindegren ML, Schaffner W, Price A, Chaves SS: Obesity not associated with severity among hospitalized adults with seasonal influenza virus infection. Infection. 2015 Oct; 2015 Jul 7. PMID: 26148927
- Mody PS, Wang Y, Geirsson A, Kim N, Desai MM, Gupta A, Dodson JA, Krumholz HM: Trends in aortic dissection hospitalizations, interventions, and outcomes among medicare beneficiaries in the United States, 2000-2011. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2014 Nov; 2014 Oct 21. PMID: 25336626
- Seil KS, Desai MM, Smith MV: Sexual orientation, adult connectedness, substance use, and mental health outcomes among adolescents: findings from the 2009 New York City Youth Risk Behavior Survey. Am J Public Health. 2014 Oct; 2014 Aug 14. PMID: 25121812
- Lampropulos JF, Kim N, Wang Y, Desai MM, Barreto-Filho JA, Dodson JA, Dries DL, Mangi AA, Krumholz HM: Trends in left ventricular assist device use and outcomes among Medicare beneficiaries, 2004-2011. Open Heart. 2014; 2014 Aug 5. PMID: 25332817
- Capp R, Ross JS, Fox JP, Wang Y, Desai MM, Venkatesh AK, Krumholz HM: Hospital variation in risk-standardized hospital admission rates from US EDs among adults. Am J Emerg Med. 2014 Aug; 2014 Mar 28. PMID: 24881514
- Lipska KJ, Ross JS, Wang Y, Inzucchi SE, Minges K, Karter AJ, Huang ES, Desai MM, Gill TM, Krumholz HM: National trends in US hospital admissions for hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia among Medicare beneficiaries, 1999 to 2011. JAMA Intern Med. 2014 Jul. PMID: 24838229
- Spatz ES, Sheth SD, Gosch KL, Desai MM, Spertus JA, Krumholz HM, Ross JS: Usual source of care and outcomes following acute myocardial infarction. J Gen Intern Med. 2014 Jun; 2014 Feb 20. PMID: 24553957
- Jin H, Earnshaw VA, Wickersham JA, Kamarulzaman A, Desai MM, John J, Altice FL: An assessment of health-care students' attitudes toward patients with or at high risk for HIV: implications for education and cultural competency. AIDS Care. 2014; 2014 Mar 14. PMID: 24625279
- Bikdeli B, Wang Y, Kim N, Desai MM, Quagliarello V, Krumholz HM: Trends in hospitalization rates and outcomes of endocarditis among Medicare beneficiaries. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013 Dec 10; 2013 Aug 28. PMID: 23994421
- Barreto-Filho JA, Wang Y, Dodson JA, Desai MM, Sugeng L, Geirsson A, Krumholz HM: Trends in aortic valve replacement for elderly patients in the United States, 1999-2011. JAMA. 2013 Nov 20. PMID: 24240935
- Capp R, Rosenthal MS, Desai MM, Kelley L, Borgstrom C, Cobbs-Lomax DL, Simonette P, Spatz ES: Characteristics of Medicaid enrollees with frequent ED use. Am J Emerg Med. 2013 Sep; 2013 Jul 11. PMID: 23850143
- Camenga DR, Dunne EF, Desai MM, Gee J, Markowitz LE, Desiliva A, Klein NP: Incidence of genital warts in adolescents and young adults in an integrated health care delivery system in the United States before human papillomavirus vaccine recommendations. Sex Transm Dis. 2013 Jul. PMID: 23965766
- Spatz ES, Canavan ME, Desai MM, Krumholz HM, Lindau ST: Sexual activity and function among middle-aged and older men and women with hypertension. J Hypertens. 2013 Jun. PMID: 23640604
- Macintosh T, Desai MM, Lewis TT, Jones BA, Nunez-Smith M: Socially-assigned race, healthcare discrimination and preventive healthcare services. PLoS One. 2013; 2013 May 21. PMID: 23704992
- Fox JP, Philip EJ, Gross CP, Desai RA, Killelea B, Desai MM: Associations between mental health and surgical outcomes among women undergoing mastectomy for cancer. Breast J. 2013 May-Jun; 2013 Mar 21. PMID: 23521554
- Gupta A, Desai MM, Kim N, Bulsara KR, Wang Y, Krumholz HM: Trends in intracranial stenting among medicare beneficiaries in the United States, 2006-2010. J Am Heart Assoc. 2013 Apr 15; 2013 Apr 15. PMID: 23588099
- Furie GL, Desai MM: Active transportation and cardiovascular disease risk factors in U.S. adults. Am J Prev Med. 2012 Dec. PMID: 23159257
- Sima LC, Desai MM, McCarty KM, Elimelech M: Relationship between use of water from community-scale water treatment refill kiosks and childhood diarrhea in Jakarta. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2012 Dec; 2012 Nov 5. PMID: 23128290
- Fox JP, Gustafson J, Desai MM, Hellan M, Thambi-Pillai T, Ouellette J: Short-term outcomes of ablation therapy for hepatic tumors: evidence from the 2006-2009 nationwide inpatient sample. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012 Nov; 2012 May 17. PMID: 22588470
- Fox JP, Desai MM, Krumholz HM, Gross CP: Hospital-level outcomes associated with laparoscopic colectomy for cancer in the minimally invasive era. J Gastrointest Surg. 2012 Nov; 2012 Sep 5. PMID: 22948842
- Horwitz LI, Wang Y, Desai MM, Curry LA, Bradley EH, Drye EE, Krumholz HM: Correlations among risk-standardized mortality rates and among risk-standardized readmission rates within hospitals. J Hosp Med. 2012 Nov-Dec; 2012 Aug 3. PMID: 22865546
- Fox J, Desai MM, Britten K, Lucas G, Luneau R, Rosenthal MS: Mental-health conditions, barriers to care, and productivity loss among officers in an urban police department. Conn Med. 2012 Oct. PMID: 23155671
- Dodson JA, Wang Y, Desai MM, Barreto-Filho JA, Sugeng L, Hashim SW, Krumholz HM: Outcomes for mitral valve surgery among Medicare fee-for-service beneficiaries, 1999 to 2008. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2012 May; 2012 May 10. PMID: 22576847
- Chen PG, Curry LA, Nunez-Smith M, Bradley EH, Desai MM: Career satisfaction in primary care: a comparison of international and US medical graduates. J Gen Intern Med. 2012 Feb; 2011 Aug 25. PMID: 21866306
- Bucholz EM, Desai MM, Rosenthal MS: Dietary intake in Head Start vs non-Head Start preschool-aged children: results from the 1999-2004 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. J Am Diet Assoc. 2011 Jul. PMID: 21703380
- Krumholz HM, Lin Z, Drye EE, Desai MM, Han LF, Rapp MT, Mattera JA, Normand SL: An administrative claims measure suitable for profiling hospital performance based on 30-day all-cause readmission rates among patients with acute myocardial infarction. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2011 Mar. PMID: 21406673
- Butala NM, Desai MM, Linnander EL, Wong YR, Mikhail DG, Ott LS, Spertus JA, Bradley EH, Aaty AA, Abdelfattah A, Gamal A, Kholeif H, el-Baz M, Allam AH, Krumholz HM: Gender differences in presentation, management, and in-hospital outcomes for patients with AMI in a lower-middle income country: evidence from Egypt. PLoS One. 2011; 2011 Oct 13. PMID: 22022463
- Bernheim SM, Grady JN, Lin Z, Wang Y, Wang Y, Savage SV, Bhat KR, Ross JS, Desai MM, Merrill AR, Han LF, Rapp MT, Drye EE, Normand SL, Krumholz HM: National patterns of risk-standardized mortality and readmission for acute myocardial infarction and heart failure. Update on publicly reported outcomes measures based on the 2010 release. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2010 Sep; 2010 Aug 24. PMID: 20736442
- Spatz ES, Ross JS, Desai MM, Canavan ME, Krumholz HM: Beyond insurance coverage: usual source of care in the treatment of hypertension and hypercholesterolemia. Data from the 2003-2006 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Am Heart J. 2010 Jul. PMID: 20598981
- Montgomery MA, Desai MM, Elimelech M: Assessment of latrine use and quality and association with risk of trachoma in rural Tanzania. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2010 Apr; 2009 Nov 18. PMID: 19926106
- Ferrucci LM, Bell BP, Dhotre KB, Manos MM, Terrault NA, Zaman A, Murphy RC, Vanness GR, Thomas AR, Bialek SR, Desai MM, Sofair AN: Complementary and alternative medicine use in chronic liver disease patients. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2010 Feb. PMID: 19779363
- Caplan S, Alvidrez J, Paris M, Escobar JI, Dixon JK, Desai MM, Whittemore R, Scahill LD: Subjective versus objective: an exploratory analysis of latino primary care patients with self-perceived depression who do not fulfill primary care evaluation of mental disorders patient health questionnaire criteria for depression. Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry. 2010. PMID: 21274360
- Nunez-Smith M, Pilgrim N, Wynia M, Desai MM, Bright C, Krumholz HM, Bradley EH: Health care workplace discrimination and physician turnover. J Natl Med Assoc. 2009 Dec. PMID: 20070016
- Nunez-Smith M, Pilgrim N, Wynia M, Desai MM, Jones BA, Bright C, Krumholz HM, Bradley EH: Race/ethnicity and workplace discrimination: results of a national survey of physicians. J Gen Intern Med. 2009 Nov; 2009 Sep 1. PMID: 19727966
- Desai MM, Stauffer BD, Feringa HH, Schreiner GC: Statistical models and patient predictors of readmission for acute myocardial infarction: a systematic review. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2009 Sep. PMID: 20031883
- Desai RA, Manley M, Desai MM, Potenza MN: Gender differences in the association between body mass index and psychopathology. CNS Spectr. 2009 Jul. PMID: 19773713
- Spatz ES, Canavan ME, Desai MM: From here to JUPITER: identifying new patients for statin therapy using data from the 1999-2004 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2009 Jan; 2009 Jan 13. PMID: 20031811
- Desai MM, Rosenheck RA, Desai RA: Time trends and predictors of suicide among mental health outpatients in the Department of Veterans Affairs. J Behav Health Serv Res. 2008 Jan; 2007 Nov 8. PMID: 17990123
- Desai RA, Desai MM, Potenza MN: Gambling, health and age: data from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions. Psychol Addict Behav. 2007 Dec. PMID: 18072825
- Desai MM, Rosenheck RA, Desai RA: Prevalence and correlates of human immunodeficiency virus testing and posttest counseling among outpatients with serious mental illness. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2007 Sep. PMID: 17984780
- Hashemian F, Khoshnood K, Desai MM, Falahati F, Kasl S, Southwick S: Anxiety, depression, and posttraumatic stress in Iranian survivors of chemical warfare. JAMA. 2006 Aug 2. PMID: 16882962
- Ross JS, Gross CP, Desai MM, Hong Y, Grant AO, Daniels SR, Hachinski VC, Gibbons RJ, Gardner TJ, Krumholz HM: Effect of blinded peer review on abstract acceptance. JAMA. 2006 Apr 12. PMID: 16609089
- Desai MM, Rosenheck RA, Craig TJ: Case-finding for depression among medical outpatients in the Veterans Health Administration. Med Care. 2006 Feb. PMID: 16434917
- Desai MM, Rosenheck RA: Unmet need for medical care among homeless adults with serious mental illness. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2005 Nov-Dec. PMID: 16271656
- Desai MM, Rosenheck RA, Craig TJ: Screening for alcohol use disorders among medical outpatients: the influence of individual and facility characteristics. Am J Psychiatry. 2005 Aug. PMID: 16055775
- Desai MM, Rosenheck RA: HIV testing and receipt of test results among homeless persons with serious mental illness. Am J Psychiatry. 2004 Dec. PMID: 15569902
- Bogardus ST Jr, Desai MM, Williams CS, Leo-Summers L, Acampora D, Inouye SK: The effects of a targeted multicomponent delirium intervention on postdischarge outcomes for hospitalized older adults. Am J Med. 2003 Apr 1. PMID: 12714128
- Desai MM, Rosenheck RA: Trends in discharge disposition, mortality, and service use among long-stay psychiatric patients in the 1990s. Psychiatr Serv. 2003 Apr. PMID: 12663843
- Desai MM, Rosenheck RA, Kasprow WJ: Determinants of receipt of ambulatory medical care in a national sample of mentally ill homeless veterans. Med Care. 2003 Feb. PMID: 12555055
- Inouye SK, Bogardus ST Jr, Vitagliano G, Desai MM, Williams CS, Grady JN, Scinto JD: Burden of illness score for elderly persons: risk adjustment incorporating the cumulative impact of diseases, physiologic abnormalities, and functional impairments. Med Care. 2003 Jan. PMID: 12544545
- Desai MM, Rosenheck RA, Druss BG, Perlin JB: Mental disorders and quality of diabetes care in the veterans health administration. Am J Psychiatry. 2002 Sep. PMID: 12202281
- Desai MM, Rosenheck RA, Druss BG, Perlin JB: Receipt of nutrition and exercise counseling among medical outpatients with psychiatric and substance use disorders. J Gen Intern Med. 2002 Jul. PMID: 12133146
- Desai MM, Bogardus ST Jr, Williams CS, Vitagliano G, Inouye SK: Development and validation of a risk-adjustment index for older patients: the high-risk diagnoses for the elderly scale. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002 Mar. PMID: 11943043
- Druss BG, Rosenheck RA, Desai MM, Perlin JB: Quality of preventive medical care for patients with mental disorders. Med Care. 2002 Feb. PMID: 11802085